The Speech Stop
A One-Stop Resource for Speech/Language Pathologists, Educators & Parents
Strategies for Language Therapy
NEW THERAPY TOOL - GROW! Language Development With Engaging Children's Stories. Check out the Bilingual Resources section or the informational flyer below for more detailed information. Story books are available in English only if you're not working with bilingual children.
Available NOW! Click here to order.
See Table of Contents for other story titles. Informational Flyer in English.
Read testimonials about the ¡CREZCA! - GROW! series.
There is an excellent language resource I use as one of my main language “curricula.” I highly recommend Language Strategies for Children and Language Strategies for Little Ones by Vicki Prouty & Michele Fagan. These books offer highly functional and educationally relevant strategies for students with language delays, for skills such as active listening, describing, categorizing, comparing and contrasting, story retelling, and much more! With the authors’ permission, below are some materials I have developed to supplement the great materials provided in the books.
Descriptive Words – Shape, Size, and Color for use with “Creature Creator” and “It Makes Sense” sections.
Discover the Pattern Analogies Summary Chart for use with “Analogies” section.
Discover the Pattern Analogies Summary Chart_Analogias_en español for use with “Analogies” section.
Ancient/Modern Olympics Comparison for use with “Compare Contrastadon” section.
Another language program I use is Strategies Offer Solutions: Language and Cognition by Ruthann Jarvis and Elizabeth Peterson. It also offers functional strategies for various language skills in a very tangible and clever way. This program contains wonderful visual reinforcers and practical activities.
SpeakColors - Spanish Version
Spanish version of SpeakColors coming in August 2013!!!
I am thrilled to announce I'll be joining RWH Technology to develop an iPad app in Spanish for speech/language therapy. The app is designed to encourage children to imitate and use simple sentences using colors and photos of objects. Improve receptive and expressive vocabulary skills, increase phrase length and more! Learn more
Materials & More!
Free files shown here are in PDF format.
- ¡A hasta Z en 1, 2, 3! - A_en español
- ¡A hasta Z en 1, 2, 3! - B_en español
- A to Z in 1, 2, 3!
- Students generate target words (nouns) for given adjectives beginning with each letter of the alphabet (los estudiantes generan palabras (nombres) que van con adjetivos específicos que empiezan con cada letra del alfabeto)
- Analogy Visual_Homophones
- Analogy Visual_Irregular Past Tense
- Analogy Visual_Item & Origin
- Analogy Visual_Regular Past Tense
- Analogy Visual_Singular & Plural
- Broad to Narrow Idea Visual
- Call for Creative Ideas Using GROW! Storybook Series
- Common English Homonyms
- Communication Book About…(Cover)
- Definition Example
- Definition Template
- Definition Template_Definiciones_en español
- Descriptive Words for Color
- Descriptive Words for Shape
- Descriptive Words for Size
- Drawing a Conclusion Chart-Science Fair
- Drawing a Conclusion Directions
- Drawing a Conclusion Worksheet-Science Fair
- Forming Complex Sentences
- Forming Complex Sentences_en español
- GROW Series_Supplemental Activity for A Very Special Day Storybook
- GROW Series_Supplemental Activity for Buying Groceries Storybook
- GROW Series_Supplemental Activity for Getting Around Storybook
- GROW Series_Supplemental Activity for Where Do Animals Live? Storybook
- Homophone Pairs #1
- Homophone Pairs #2
- Homophone Pairs #3
- Homophone Pairs #4
- Homophone Pairs #5
- Homophone Pairs #6
- Homophone Pairs #7
- Homophone Pairs #8
- Homophone pairs posted with permission, by Shari Borger
- Language Scavenger Hunt
- Listen, Sing, Speak! Children's Songs for Speech, Language & Hearing Goals
- Making Conclusions Chart
- Making Connections Visual Chart
- Making Connections Visual Chart_Conexiones_en español
- Making Connections Writing Template
- Making Connections Writing Template_en español
- Mail for Bucks Packet Cover (available in Articulation Strategies book)
- Music Enhancing Language_Parent Handout
- New Word Book (Cover)
- New Word Book (Cover)_Libro de Palabras Nuevas_en español
- Olympics Newsletter
- Includes various activity ideas used for a “Speech Olympics” targeting articulation and language skills
- Oval Blank Writing Template
- Progress Graph for Any Skill
- Purposeful Ongoing Play: Enhancing Language Skills Through Play
- Scavenger Hunt Directions
- Scavenger Hunt Newsletter Sample
- Sequence Word Cards
- Social Stories
- Story Block Directions
- Story Blocks 3-Part
- Story Blocks 4-Part
- Story Blocks above are available in the ¡CREZCA! GROW! Manual
- Story Narrative Directions
- Story Narrative Squares Worksheet
- Story Narrative Writing Worksheet
- Worksheets above are available in the ¡CREZCA! GROW! Manual
- Story Narrative Visual
- Story Narrative_Wh- Question Visuals
- W.I.P.U.L. - Areas to Consider When Differentiating Between Late Talkers and Language Disorders in Children
- W.I.P.U.L. Visual